Sunday, December 19, 2010

Jar of Change

As followers of Christ, we are supposed to hold to a different set of values than that of the world.What is important to us often seems foolish to them, and what they hold in high regard is not necessarily the same for us. At least, that is what we hear often enough from our spiritual leaders. Scripture backs them up as well.

I find it rather paradoxical then that professional sports works it's way into such a large percentage of our worship services. For something that matters so very little in this world, and even less in the one to come, it gets an awful lot of air time. And please, don't cite the example of the Apostle Paul's brief mention of sports as a precedent. I'm not talking about the occasional illustration.



Just to make sure that I am not being a grumpy, non-sports fan, stick-in-the-mud, I'm going to propose an experiment. I intend to designate a jar for this purpose, and fill it with 52 little footballs, basketballs, baseballs, and hockey pucks. What form they'll be in, I'm not sure yet. Each piece will represent a predetermined monetary amount--because I want this experiment to carry some weight. On the first Sunday of January, I'll begin. One piece will be removed on each Sunday in which professional sports is mentioned during the worship service. At the end of the year, whatever amount is left in the jar (by its representational pieces) will be given to our church.
Some stipulations:
  • If I miss a Sunday, and don't listen to the recorded message, a piece will not be removed, even if sports was mentioned (because I won't know about it, will I?)
  • Relevant illustrations relating to the sermons don't count. Heavy emphasis on relevancy.
  • References during announcements should count, but I'll be lenient and let them slide.
  • Outside guests speakers get a pass too.
  • This is the only time, and only place that I intend to discuss this experiment until it's over. I don't want to skew the results. (I'm pretty sure that my Pastor is not one of the three people who read this blog. If he is, I'm not sorry.)
This feels a little one-sided, and judgmental, which is not my intention. I'm merely trying to see how pervasive sports is in our culture and how much it effects the Church. If would be more informative if I could find people from other churches to keep a tally of the same kind of information (even if it didn't involve money for them). I seriously doubt that my church is the only place this happens.
To level the playing field (sorry), I'm going to think of a task for me to work on as well.

I'll revisit this topic with the results at the end of next year. Let's hope the jar is still really full.

**Nevermind. After thinking this through some more, I have decided not to do it. It puts me in the wrong frame of mind from the start and sets me up for having a resentful attitude. I also puts me in a position of judgement. None of which is what I want. It is enough that the people who care about me know that it is a distraction from worship for me. I can leave it at that.

4 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Interesting experiment - I'll be waiting to see the results. You know, they have those math counters shaped as sports balls that you could use - find them at a teacher's store.

Personally, I've always suspected that intensely following, say, Major League Baseball is idolatry...but, for the most part, I've kept my opinion to myself...

Mama Cache said...

You are being most generous. I wouldn't give a pass to any of the instances you have allowed.

I agree with Hendel D'bu, only it feels more like a pantheon to me: footbaal, basebaal, basketbaal, etc.

(By the way, my required word verification is "gents." *chuckle*)

Ari C'rona said...

Great idea - I think MC has a point. If you include guest speakers, you get a wider representation.

Chris said...

Good choice not to do this counting each time sports is mentioned in your church service, because I think you'd miss the 'message' listening for sports!
Blessings Chris x