Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Protecting what he provides

A while ago, I heard a speaker at a woman's conference (but I can't remember who!) say that my husband's job is to provide for the family and my job is to protect what he provides! That has been my mission ever since.
That is the main reason why I started using Mvelopes Personal (see the link on the left) and making my own laundry soap and the like. With all of the medical bills that we are acquiring this year (!), I didn't start any too early!
But I am so excited about today! Last week when we had a couple of early warm days, I realized that J had no hot weather clothes. Not one stitch. So today we went shopping at a local thrift store! We prayed before we left and came home with 32 items of clothing (13 shorts, 13 shirts, 2 skorts, 1 jumper and 3 dresses for my niece who now lives next door and I couldn't resist!) and only paid $37.89! Hooray and Thank You, Lord!

Another part of this protecting what he provides will arrive in August-we have ordered a corn furnace! It should more than pay for itself in less than five years. As the price of propane continues to climb, it will be so nice to cut that bill down to size!

Update--I originally posted the above on April 17, 2006. Now, almost exactly two years later, we are still going to the thrift stores and I am always amazed at the wonderful things we come home with. Just last week we went for the girls' summer wardrobes and found more than enough and paid next to nothing. The corn furnace was installed last December and we fired it up the week before Christmas. I am happy to report that our house has stayed toasty warm all winter and the Service Gas man has not gotten to fill our tank even once! We just stand at the window and wave as he checks the gauge and drives away. We have used only about 15% of the tank in the last four months. Normally it would have been filled at least three times by now! Since we farm, the corn we are burning is free! I think I actually giggled out loud when Chad told me to "Turn the heat up, it's just corn!"
Praise the Lord for His provision!

1 comment:

Peas on Earth said...

oooh! I am a thrift store shopper too! Your kindred spirit, sharon :-)