Monday, March 17, 2008

My Contribution for St. Pat's Day

My children are still at the Shamrock and Leprechan stage for St. Patrick's Day, but I do plan on sharing some of the history (I have a unit from SchoolExpress.com) and the following poetry, which I love, next week. We'll probably watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People too :).

A Gaelic Blessing
(Adapted from an old Gaelic rune)

Deep peace of the running wave to you,
Deep peace of the flowing air to you,
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you,
Deep peace of the shining stars to you,
Deep peace of the gentle night to you,
Moon and stars pour their healing light on you,
Deep peace of Christ the light of the world to you.

A Prayer of Saint Patrick
(From Saint Patrick's Breastplate, 5th cent., tr. Mrs. C.F. Alexander)

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me,
Christ above me, Christ beneath me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I have both of these in music form composed by John Rutter (on his album Gloria, available from Collegium Records), and sung by the Cambridge Singers. This was my first and still is my favorite CD! I copied the text from inside the CD insert.

*originally posted 3/7/06

1 comment:

Peas on Earth said...

I really like John Rutter's arrangements! As for Darby O'Gill and the Little People? Well, that movie is just plain weird. I remember it scaring my kids! :-)

As one who is at least 1/4 Irish, I neglected to even say anything about St. Patty's Day!! Oops! I will forever associate it with green poop, though, now!!!! ha ha ha!!!