Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Tribute to the Demise of Winter


All that is left of our beautiful snowman is a very soggy purple scarf, orange hat, and red mittens,a muddy clump of buttons and stump of carrot. J sighed wistfully looking at it and stated that she wished we could have our snowman forever. Since I almost pulled my arms out hefting his sizeable midsection, I sort of wished he had lasted longer too.
Then Roger McGough's poem came to mind and I had to smile.

The Snowman
Mother, while you were at the shops
And I was snoozing in my chair,
I heard a tap at the window
It was a snowman standing there.

He looked so cold and miserable
I almost could have cried.
So I put the kettle on
And invited him inside.

I made him a cup of cocoa
To warm the cockles of his nose.
Then he snuggled in front of the fire
For a cozy little doze.

He lay there warm and smiling,
Softly counting sheep.
I eavesdropped for a little while
Then I too fell asleep.

It seems he awoke and tiptoed out
Exactly when I'm not too sure.
It's a wonder you didn't see him
As you came in through the door.

Oh, by the way,
The kittens made a puddle on the floor.

We have the poem on the King's Singers album, Kid's Stuff, and it is narrated by Judi Dench. The whole album is thoroughly wonderful for young and old alike.

I'm sure that I don't have the lines and punctuation correct on the poem. I'll correct it when I can find it in print (possibly in the book The Kingfisher Book of Funny Poems?)


*originally posted 3 13/06

2 comments:

Peas on Earth said...

Glad to see you're posting more ... I kept checking!! :-)

Unknown said...

thank you very much i've been looking for this for .......YEARS!!! i first found it in my sons magazine when he was about 4 or 5, he's now 23 and just found it for me. Thank you again!
mary caveney