Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another Weighty Matter

After the heavy discussion on the weight of the world, I’ve been doing some thinking on another weighty matter. That would be me. Now, after you gasp at what I’m about to say, please, at least finish reading. I don’t think dieting is Biblical. I think our society has a very warped view of beauty and self worth, and the resulting diet and fitness craze is a huge extension of that. It is probably unnecessary to go any further on that topic to this audience.
The Christian mindset is almost as bad, however. A large majority of people who believe in the things of God adhere to the same popular diets and exercise regimens that have reached cult like proportions in the rest of the nation.

I would challenge you to study these things from a Biblical perspective. How do you picture Ruth, Esther, Deborah and the Virtuous Woman? As a size six, with long flowing dark hair, big eyes with long lashes and slender hands with perfectly manicured nails? That would be Hollywood’s influence. Think about the culture, way of life and climate that they lived in. Few modern conveniences, as we know them, existed to make their work load easier. Large extended families, a harsh climate and food types available were all contributing factors. As far I can tell, they did not have such an obsession with their weight, fat content and “Body Mass Index” either! Perhaps, as in other cultures, a “well rounded” woman was considered beautiful and a compliment to her husband’s ability to provide for his family. Don’t misunderstand. I am not saying that they were ugly, grotesque woman. I believe they were strong, fit ladies (Prov. 31 says she girded her loins with strength) who were meet representatives of their husbands as well as their God. I just don’t see them wasting a whole lot of time doing Pilates and counting calories, carbs, fat grams, or whatever else we’re supposed to count now days.

Balance seems to be the key in this as it is in everything else. Eating sensibly, working hard and looking to our health seem to be better goals than wearing a certain size or weighing only so much. There is much more in the Bible about control than there are size specifications. What sense does it make to prepare separate meals for myself apart from the rest of the family, or spend exorbitant amounts of my husband’s money on specialty foods? I should use the mind that God has given me to prepare healthy, satisfying meals for everyone and only eat what I need. I also have a suspicion that if I did half of the work here at home that needs doing, then not only would I not have time for exercising, but I would have no cause!

I Peter 3:4 says it very well: “but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” No mention of dress size.

*originally written 3/21/06

1 comment:

Peas on Earth said...

Preach it, Sister! :-) I was just telling my hubby the other day that I don't diet because it is so not worth it. I watch my mom struggle (up and down, up and down) and it's just not worth the stress and struggle. God created me and loves me as is. While I certainly do need to exercise and make wise food choices (that is a matter of honoring the temple of the Holy Spirit!), I choose not to succumb to the pressure of a certain size or look. And I believe I am healthier for it. :-)