Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Right Under Your Nose

Have you ever had a conversation like this?
M (age 3 1/2) comes into the kitchen and asks:
"Where is my other pink slipper?"
"Well, where did you find the first one?"
"Behind the couch in the living room."
"Then the other slipper is probably somewhere near where you found the first one." (I know this because I picked it up the night before.)
(after walking into the living room) "I can't find it."
"Did you look in the boxes of toys and doll things?"
(after looking at, but not touching the boxes) "I don't think it's there. Maybe it is upstairs."
"It is not upstairs. You need to take the toys out of the boxes and actually look for the slipper."
(several seconds later, no rummaging in boxes heard) "I can't see it. I'll just wear one."
"No, M. The other pink slipper is in the box with the doll toys and dress up stuff. Trust me. I know it is there. Just go look!"
(maybe a minute later) "It's not there. I'll just go up and get the purple one."
"I don't care if you do get the purple ones, but not until you go in the living room and find that other pink slipper!! (I'm now leading, ok, dragging her by the hand and pointing) "It is in THIS box, right where I told you it would be! I can even see it sticking out!!"
(Granted, her easy going nature and flexibility are an asset most of the time, but not when any measure of determination is called for!)

Now I'm wondering if God has ever felt the same way towards me (but without the frustration and yelling)?
"You asked me for guidance and I told you where to look."
"But I can't see it."
"It's there, but you have to actually look."
"I still can't find it."
"Trust me. It's there. Try the book of James."
And so on...

He has given us all the direction that we need, but it is up to us to search and seek and find. Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened unto you."
It's right under our noses, but we have to actively look!

*originally written 3/10/06

No comments: