Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lying on the Wind

Wind on the Hill
A.A.Milne

No one can tell me.
Nobody knows.
Where the wind comes from,
Where the wind goes.

It’s flying from somewhere
As fast as it can.
I couldn’t keep up with it.
Not if I ran.

But if I stopped holding
The string of my kite,
It would blow with the wind
For a day and a night.

And then when I found it
Wherever it blew,
I should know that the wind
Had been going there too.

So then I could tell them
Where the wind goes
But where the wind comes from
Nobody knows.


Tom he was a piper’s son
He learned to play when he was young.
And all the tune that he could play-
was “Over the hills and far away.”

Over the hill and a great way off
The wind shall blow my top knot off!

This time of year, here in the country, it is likely that you will lose at least your hat to our wind, if not your hair too! But you learn to make adjustments and enjoy the benefits-like not having to rake leaves or push your children on the swings. J
Nature has long given us pictures of the power of God. The wind is no exception. Tornadoes and Hurricanes are obvious examples, but even the slightest breeze has a refreshing effect. Are you at a point in your life where you need to be refreshed? Or perhaps you need a storm to shake things loose?
The Bible gives us many examples of how the Almighty used the wind to accomplish his purpose: drying the earth after the Flood, parting rivers and the Red Sea, driving the locust from Egypt, bringing quail to the Israelite’s camp, flattening Job’s house, chastening Jonah (twice!), and many, many more. “He rides on the wings of the wind;” Ps. 104:3, “Who has gathered the wind in his fists?” Pro. 30:4, “who makes lightnings for the rain and brings forth the wind from his storehouses.” Ps. 135:7 A.A.Milne might not know where the wind comes from, but we sure do. Sometimes the wind is our enemy, sometimes it is our friend, but it is always at God’s beck and call.

In my elementary years, I remember discovering that on very windy days, I could lay the entire weight of my body on the wind and not fall down. Just like a kite I could be supported by the air, but I had very little control over it. The same is true today. I cannot control the great I AM, and wouldn’t presume to try! But I can trust Him to hold me up in any circumstance, good or bad. There is one condition though. I have to lie down in order to feel the thrill of being supported by my Maker alone.

*originally written 3/16/06

1 comment:

Peas on Earth said...

This reminds me of a song. I love this song, but only I choose to reflect on what the songwriter "surely meant" rather than what he "said." God does not take us out of (or over) the storms of life. Rather, he carries us through them and out the other side. Have you heard this one?

Still
by Reuben Morgan

"Hide me now, under Your wings.
Cover me within Your mighty hand.

Find rest, my soul, in Christ alone; know His power in quietness and trust.

When the oceans rise and thunders roar I will soar with you above the storm. Father, you are King over the flood. I will be still, know You are God."