Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Best Laid Plans

"Free Will" is highly overrated, if you ask me. I find a great deal of comfort in verses like:
  • Proverbs 16:9 The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.
  • Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
  • Psalm 119:133 Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.
  • Psalm 37:23 The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way;

I know that my own heart is "deceitful above all things" (Jer. 17:9) and "only evil continually" (Gen. 6:5). It is an encouragement to me to know that if I seek to obey God and walk in his known will, that I can make my human plans with some measure of confidence (not that I don't often make mistakes!). His Sovereign control over my life will direct me in the way He chooses for me. Which is far better for me anyway. It is not my intention to stir up a debate here. But there is a great deal of Freedom in surrendering to the Sovereignty of God and allowing him to order your steps. It is a much more enjoyable ride when you don't have the responsibility of driving the vehicle.
I have probably posted this before, but its worth repeating. From the Preces Privatae of Lancelot Andrewes, 1555-1626:
Open thou mine eyes and I shall see:

Incline my heart and I shall desire:

Order my steps and I shall walk

In the ways of thy commandments.

O Lord God, be thou to me a God

And beside thee let there be none else,

No other, nought else with thee.

Vouchsafe to me to worship thee and serve thee

According to thy commandments

In truth of spirit,

In revereance of body,

In blessing of lips,

In private and in public.

*originally posted 9/10/07

No comments: