Tuesday, February 12, 2008

If I could hire three people...

...one of them would spend the day following J & M around answering all of their myriads of questions. Another would be responsible for picking up, washing, drying, folding, and putting away the laundry (you know that job can keep a person busy for 8 hours a day!). The last I would keep in reserve for all of those tasks that seem to pop up out of nowhere and create lots of stress in life. Forgot that your child needs birthday treats for Awana? More library books have come in, even though you've already been three times this week? Your sister calls with a plea for an emergency babysitter? Don't worry, have the Reserve Help do it!!

On second thought, if it was someone else's job to answer my children, I would miss all of the really interesting questions. "How fast does a Beta fish's heart beat?", "Why do they always make the words in books black and not other colors?, "What does 'abrasion' mean?", "What shape is an antibody?", "What is the biggest number?", "If a polygon had one hundred sides, what would it be called?", "What does 'obliged' mean?" And on, and on, and on. And on. But maybe I should keep that job myself.
And if I had someone else to fall back on when I drop the ball or life happens, then I would have one less chance to rely on my Heavenly Father for grace and strength and the ability to come up with creative solutions. And I wouldn't be able to use those opportunities to teach my girls the life and character lessons that they contain or show them that it's alright to make mistakes and say you're sorry. So maybe I should keep that job also.

I'd still hire someone for the laundry though.

*originally posted on 2/21/2006

No comments: